TECHNET Archives

November 2004

From:
R Sedlak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, R Sedlak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 07:21:57 -0800
Good call on using the Palmolive... it is about 30% surfactant, the rest being water, and it acts very like an organic solvent, (IPA) in the concentrated form... but it must be rinsed off, and this always introduces variables...

Rudy Sedlak
RD Chemical Company

"Blair K. Hogg" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Greetings 'netters:

Had the occasion last night to perform surgery on a cordless telephone, the buttons had become dysfunctional rendering the phone basically unusable. I've done this on other phones before, and each time have found that the elastomer switch panel and printed circuit board have become coated with some kind of "goo".

I believe that this "goo" is the accumulation of skin oils which somehow migrate into the phone and get under the elastomer, but have thought that perhaps some manufacturers intentionally put some kind of compound on the elastomer for some reason (sealing?). I'm leaning toward the skin oil explanation, since we make products here with elastomer switch panels and have never used any sealing compound during assembly. Anyone else out there doing this kind of assembly and do you put anything on the elastomer during assembly?

Also, in the past I've cleaned up the elastomer with drug store IPA (91%), but here I was last night working in the kitchen with a Swiss army knife (one with all the tools on it) and there next to me was the sink and a bottle of Palmolive detergent. Well, I though, aqueous wash, and went at it. It worked pretty well, but after reassembly the left over moisture began condensing on the window and it was hard to see the display. I'm sure this will clear up after a while, though.

So what do you cleaning gurus think is the best way to remove the "goo", whatever it is? IPA or Palmolive? Is Palmolive a saponifier or a surfactant, or both?

Happy Friday,

Blair

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.