TECHNET Archives

November 2004

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 13:50:49 -0000
Now you're just being obtuse.

When aluminium was first named it went through several iterations and was going to be called aluminum on both sides of the Atlantic, but then was changed to aluminium to be consistent with other metals. For some reason the message was delayed in getting across the pond and it became fixed there as aluminum. So in fact the -ium ending is entirely  and deliberately consistent with new and old metals, common or rare, from lithium to lawrencium , taking in indium(!), magnesium, calcium, sodium, gallium, chromium, plutonium and so on in between.

Of course the ironic /funny thing about this thread is that we the Brits were being accused of adding extra syllables unnecessarily compared to other users of English, with New England place names being cited as illustration.

Now... As it happens a lot of places in New England are named for places in Old England including all those exampled. So not only have the place names been retained, but also our shortened way of saying them ☺

And now back to work!

Mike