TECHNET Archives

November 2004

From:
"Hughes, Chris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Hughes, Chris
Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 2004 04:42:09 -0500
OK so there seems to be a decent amount of conversation & discussion about lead free.

Let me ask this, how many of you are prepared to meet the requirements of the forthcoming WEEE & RoHS Directives?

By changing over to lead-free, doesn't necessarily mean your products will be compliant, and permitted for sale in the EU after 1 July 2006.

Lead is only one(1) of six(6) substances that will be heavily restricted for incorporation in electronic and electrical equipment sold in the EU after July 1 2006. Bottom line is if you can't prove your compliance with WEEE & RoHS, your customers will seek alternative suppliers who can. Why? Because the risk of incorporating components/materials within their products that they cannot be sure is compliant is too large. Their products could be banned from sale in the EU, and they could be fined.

Some advice I will share with you all following a discussion I had with one of our clients marketing people: Do not satisfy your customer's declarations of conformity requests, and deal with the issues later. This is very risky, and could easily come back to haunt you. Think of the time between your customers ordering from yourselves, to the final product with your component/materials incorporated within, going to the end-user. Lag periods can be anything from 3 months to 2 years.

The most common questions we get are, what are the WEEE & RoHS Directives, and how do they effect our organisation??

Or, we are only concerned about lead, and we have only issues with lead. This is risky, how do you know none of your cabling, flux etc, doesn't contain any of the 6 banned substances? Have you had every material you use analysed? Or are you only taking your suppliers word for it?

Please think about the bigger picture, and feel free to e-mail me off line if you want to discuss any issues surrounding the WEEE & RoHS Directives...

Chris

Christopher Hughes
Environmental Scientist