TECHNET Archives

November 2004

From:
Hal Winslow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Hal Winslow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:02:25 -0500
Jack,
It has everything to do with the placement equipment, and you are
correct, MOST of the placement equipment on the market moves the
placement table in at least one axis.  However, there are machines
(lower speed, more "flexible" type machines) that this plan could work
on.  I would expect to see those machines place approximately 2K parts
per hour TOPS.  You may also be limited as far as feeder capacity (and
the max number of part numbers you can have on the machine at once.)

You will have a much higher chance of finding a small shop that would be
willing to do something like this for you, the larger shops just can't
dedicate the resources to a "think outside the box" project like this,
and they will have capital equipment geared to building hundreds or
thousands of cookie cutter boards.

Long long ago I ran machines that could do this sort of thing, in a
small adaptable shop.  There are folks out there who would be happy to
do this for you, you just need to find them.

Good Luck,
Hal