TECHNET Archives

November 2004

From:
Dee Stover <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Dee Stover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:52:06 -0700
Hi all,

Besides the process of tenting vias what other options are available for
plugging vias on a board?  Solder? Epoxy?  ????  What sort of cost
differences are we talking about.

When using the tenting method have any of you experienced breakage in the
mask barrier, during assembly or rework intervals?

We are experiencing is degradation of the vias that exist under quad
packages after rework.  Especially if quad packages are on both sides of
the board, directly over each other.  Remove one for rework the flux goes
through the vias and takes up residence under the quad on the opposite side
of the board.  Our dunk type ultrasonic cleaner doesn't seem to be able to
wash the flux etc. out from under the quads.  We do not work with high
volume of anything so any equipment recommendations should be on the
moderate side.

Any experience on these matters you can pass along will be greatly appreciated.

Dee Stover  [log in to unmask]
Sr. Tech Associate Elect
National Optical Astronomy Observatory
950 N Cherry Ave