TECHNET Archives

November 2004

From:
"Croslin, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Croslin, Robert
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:20:18 -0500
Yordan, in a past life as manager of a CM, we had to deal with the same
situation.  First, the OEM is responsible for the accuracy of the
documentation and you are under the obligation to build to print.
However, if you wish to develop a working relationship, any errors you
can point out and get corrected before the actual build benefits you
both.  Developing your P&P data is an opportunity to find and make these
corrections.  There will be times where the customer tells you to shove
it and build it to print.  All you can do is CYA by specifying the
problems in the build documentation and forwarding them back to the
customer which will usually cause hard feelings.  However, if you don't,
the finger pointing commences.  That's what I had to do, and over time,
the barriers broke down and we were able to become more involved in the
design process.  When the OEM realizes he's getting "free" engineering
and value added services, usually (but not always) they come around.

For the last 15 years, I've been on the design side of the equation and
wouldn't think of doing something without involving our CM's.  We
actually customize our documentation to reflect the particular CM's
process requirements and have them review PCB layouts before fab.  If
you can get your OEM to that level, everyone's life is easier.  Bottom
line though, is the OEM is responsible for the specification.

Bob Croslin
Nielsen Media Research