TECHNET Archives

November 2004

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:08:33 +0200
My personal feeling is not to use a solder mask, at all, but to
thoroughly clean the finished assembly to proven levels and to pot in a
slow-curing two-component **flexibilised** epoxy, under vacuum. However,
the most important point is that the board must be designed correctly in
the first place to avoid local heating. Read D.J. Dean's book Thermal
Design of Electronic Circuit Boards and Packages (Electrochemical
Publications). IMHO, if you have salt and steam conditions, then
protection of the finished assembly is a must, obligatory, mandatory if
you wish to avoid spectacular firework displays with the current that is
obviously available, although you don't mention the voltage. This is a
case where the cost must be subordinate to the conditions of use.

I don't agree with making the board as a multilayer. 105 µm copper in
innerlayers is a pig to manufacture for reliable operation and you
cannot carry 20 A through single through-holes under normal conditions.
This idea is a stick to break over your own back.

Avoid pumice or other abrasive scrubbing: it implants particles in the
copper and these can actually weaken the adhesion, as they can pull away
from the metal under strain.

Brian