TECHNET Archives

November 2004

From:
Tom Parkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Tom Parkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 08:05:35 -0500
Leland,

We're a small contract manufacturer in western PA and have been around for
13 years. We only have 30 employees, however we take training to heart.

Everyone (including the company President) attends an ESD Awareness class
every 2 years. The class is about 1.5 hours long using a PowerPoint
presentation and watching the IPC movie the Seven Sins of ESD.  This is
followed by a 25 question multiple choice quiz requiring 70% or better to
pass.  This presentation has evolved over the past 5 years and I add new
things as they become available to the program does not become stale.

All of the manufacturing people (23) attend an IPC-A-610 class every 2
years. Recently some have challenged the test (and passed) which says that
they are absorbing the material and using it.

All of the people that actually do soldering (10) also attend the
IPC-J-STD-001 class every 2 years.

3 people that inspect bare boards as they come in are also trained on
IPC-A-600.

Being in an old steel town, there aren't any electronic companies we can get
experienced people from, so our tact was to ensure we provide adequate
training and re-training to keep our edge. So far it has worked out pretty
good. Our retention rate is terrific, and people just like working here.
Nice to be able to say that.

Hope this helps you out.

Tom Parkinson - Quality System Manager - CIT
WinTronics, Inc.
Ph: 724-981-5770 Ext. 235