TECHNET Archives

November 2004

From:
Sue Macaluso <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Sue Macaluso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:03:55 -0500
There is a definite advantage to using ODB++ output files instead of gerber.
ODB++ has not only shapes identified in the artwork (like gerber), but also
the type of feature it is (SMT pad, etc.).  Gerber output files do not have
this type of intelligence to them -- they simply contain a list of
apertures/shapes with their specified locations.

The other advantage to ODB++ is that you remove the "translation" portion of
the pre-engineering work at the circuit board manufacturer.  The same ODB++
files that are output by the customer are read directly into Genesis at the
board manufacturer without any need for data translation.  This removes the
possibility of error during the translation process.

As far as disadvantages, I can't think of any.  Most CAD softwares have free
downloads for outputting these types of files.  This makes it compatible
with most design packages out there.

Regards,
Sue Macaluso

Photocircuits Corporation