TECHNET Archives

November 2004

From:
James TerVeen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, James TerVeen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 2004 15:37:36 -0500
I think you need to check with the conductive adhesive manufacturer....  I
my mind is still clear there were a number of them that would not work well
with tin or tin/lead plating on the parts.   Most of the time these
adhesives are used with gold or silver termed parts.  If you add either tin
or lead into the mix it creates a problem for reliability.    But as I said
check with the conductive adhesive manufacturers.  If this really worked,
you would bet that every board you would buy would be done with it and
eliminate the need for the cleaning of flux.   So be very careful when you
select this to replace soldering parts to board.

                      John Guy
                      <[log in to unmask]        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      COM>                     cc:
                      Sent by: TechNet         Subject:  Re: [TN] Conductive Adhesive

                      11/08/04 03:28 PM
                      Please respond to
                      TechNet E-Mail
                      Forum; Please
                      respond to John
                      Guy

Peter,
        I a previous life I did several evaluations of conductive adhesives
as a solder replacement.  You will find that the adhesive should print as
well as solder paste if you double the print speed.  Other than for that,
it prints the same.  I need to qualify it be saying that I did not print
fine pitch components, but I don't think this should prove to be a problem.
If you want to talk about any other results, I have a few horror stories
that I can share.