LEADFREE Archives

November 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Roger Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:58:11 -0500
Dave makes a good point; however, the EC has not yet made a final determination of what items within Cat 8 or 9 will be covered by the RoHS directive, per Article 6:

*******************
Article 6
Review
Before 13 February 2005,the Commission shall review the
measures provided for in this Directive to take into account,as
necessary,new scientific evidence.
In particular the Commission shall,by that date,present propo-
sals for including in the scope of this Directive equipment
which falls under categories 8 and 9 set out in Annex IA to
Directive 2002/96/EC (WEEE).

So one could feel confident that their product(s) will be exempted, and then find out that it isn't.  Might be good to have a Plan B to fall back on.  OTOH, If your product(s) end up on the exemption list, then it is business as usual.  As always, YMMV.

Looking forward to a 4-day weekend,
BRgds,

Roger

And Dave, we wouldn't dream of killing you... maybe a little torture, but no termination.