LEADFREE Archives

November 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Bob willis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 2004 07:22:53 -0000
I believe the intent of the legislation is that the PCB finish and the
component finish should be lead-free. The issue of components and exemption
from the legislation as we know was and is related to the high temperature
solders inside the parts.

Anyway we all also know of the issues of trace lead on the component
termination leading to secondary reflow. This is being examined by one the
NPL projects due to be complete in Feb/March 2005. This looks at the issue
of reliability and processability. If you have the possibility of secondary
reflow you will not be able to get the products out the factory door to be
unreliable in the field.

Bob Willis
2 Fourth Ave, Chelmsford,
Essex, CM1 4HA, England