LEADFREE Archives

November 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Dacia Super <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 18:33:47 -0600
All -

I wanted to repost a question by Blair Hogg.  Please see below.

Does anyone have any data and/or study results that they wouldn't mind
sharing related to the process of mixing lead free components with tin/lead
paste?

Any practical, real life experiences anyone would like to share?

Another question:
From my research, I have gathered that current PCBs used for the standard
tin/lead process may or may not be acceptable for lead free processing.
Items to consider when evaluating whether or not these boards are acceptable
for use include board complexity, rework potential, single vs. double sided,
etc.  The only way to determine acceptability is through process evaluation.
Is this a correct assumption?  Or am I way off the mark here?

Little bit about my organization: OEM memory supplier, surface mount only,
no clean, range from very simple to very complex memory boards....  pretty
straightforward stuff.

Yet another question:
This may seem like a silly one....  but is it acceptable to run lead free
product on the same production line as non-lead free? Through the same oven
as non-lead free product?  Other than extensive cleaning of printers, and
tight inventory/product controls, and other related process activities, what
are the industry thoughts on using the same equipment for both lead free and
non-lead free?

I appreciate any thoughts and welcome all ideas.

Regards,
Dacia