LEADFREE Archives

November 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 09:19:13 -0500
Ofer,
1) Lead is indeed allowed as an alloying element.  But push back on your supplier and make HIM show you where it says this is OK and how much is allowed - and how much he is using.

2) TBBA is the common flame retardant used in most printed circuit boards.  It is NOT one of the banned ones.  See below what I pulled up out of the Halogen Free Archives.

PCBs, PCTs and PCNs are not used.  The Halons are restricted use fire fighting chemicals.  Their manufacture is banned under the Montreal Protocol and the US military will take any off of people's hands they do want.  They are banking it to use for protecting vital computer installations.
3) Lead reduced will not cut it wilth an EU inspector!  Just ask Sony, a la their Dutch experience.

regards,
Bev Christian
Research in Motion