TECHNET Archives

October 2004

From:
"Creswick, Steven" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Creswick, Steven
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 10:37:42 -0400
Hilbrand,

I have experienced the gamut of wire bonders sitting out in a plant environment, to wire bonders sitting in a clean room.

To some extent it goes back to what type of reliability your product requires, and the type of line you may be setting up.

Granted, I am not in favor of wire bonders out in the 'plant' environment....there is just way too much dirt and yuck that accumulates on that fine piece of precision equipment!  But you could place a 'bubble' over the wire bonder alone, and leave the rest of the equipment 'outside'.  As long as the bubble is pressurized somewhat [HEPA filter], it tends to keep the debris out.

My personal perspective is that if a wire bonder is 'out on the floor', that people treat it as though it were something simple like a 'chip shooter'.  I find it better to keep something with 100-1000X the accuracy of a generic 'chip shooter' away from the hands of the curious, those with a brute force attitude, those that say, 'I have no training, but I can fix it anyway' - misguided, but well intentioned individuals ....

Just as a friendly suggestion, if this is your first experience with wire bonding, you have far more to learn about then just what environment to place it in.  :-)

You may consult your proposed wire bonder manufacturers to see how they would feel about their equipment being placed into your various environmental scenarios, and adjust your plans accordingly.

Food for thought..

Steve Creswick