TECHNET Archives

October 2004

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 21:57:29 EDT
Hi JaMi!

We didn't discuss other product lines...I was just worried about the parts  I
was dealing with. These were cracking during assembly, and yes, it just
appears to be just the case (so far). We're not doing any lead-free stuff here,
so the reflow profile is pretty normal. As far as I know, all my profiles
comply  with everything that is published about good reflow profiles. I have a
Electrovert Omniflo-10, with 10-zones to work with, so I can do just about
anything I want to do.

The board was finished with ENIG, and double-sided SMT....no wave solder.
That's why you still see the vias shiny...

-Steve Gregory-

Steve,

First, thanks for the heads up.

Did Coil Craft say  that the problem extended to any other product lines?

Are the inductors  cracking in the assembly process (i.e. due to the heat
encountered
in the  soldering and other processes), or are they cracking during actual
use?

Based on the picture, I would say that the cracking appears  limited to the
"case" or
shield, but that may not be the case in every  instance. Did Coil Craft say
whether
or not the crack in the "case"  affected the coils electrical performance or
the
shielding  capability?

Notwithstanding Coil Craft's admission of a problem, I  would still ask the
following
two questions.

Are you possibly  cooking these puppies a little too much during a Lead Free
soldering  process with possibly an improper profile?

If they are cracking in use,  I would think that an additional engineering
evaluation
would be in order  just to make sure that there wasn't too much current being
pumped
thru the  inductors which could cause them to heat up far beyond their
intended
design use or anything encountered during the assembly  process.

As a side issue, I just couldn't help but notice that the two  diodes shown
in the
picture happen to be packaged such that when oriented  with the case
positioned so
that the part number text was "right reading"  that there are two "polarity
indicators", a notch and a band, obviously  both identifying the Cathode, and
that
the "polarity indicators" are on the  left. These guys must have been
anticipating
IPC-7351.   ;^)

Just out of curiosity, one can not help but notice all of the  bright shinny
vias in
the picture, are they unprotected bare  copper?

JaMi