TECHNET Archives

October 2004

From:
Matthew Lamkin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Matthew Lamkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:35:08 +0100
AHA!
I'm glad that someone else thinks that they are incorrect, I'd hate to be on the shop floor when they discover that a whole batch of them have been put in the wrong way "because the picture said so".

We get our anode leads cut down at performing, so by the time the assemblers get them they are both the same length.
The flat edge would be the deciding factor in what way around they go, if we get any LED's with the Anode on the flat edge (not seen any yet) then they would be sent back as not to spec.

Well done for spotting the missing arrows, never thought about that, mind you on the whole assemblers have little actual electronic knowledge & need to know what the package looks like rather than the electronic symbol. A dome with a flat on is much better for them.

As for pin 1?
No use for it except on IC's, all other components either have their own orientation methods or do not need polarising. Pin 1 is only ever used within the PCB design software, once it's out then I have never had a need for it (except on IC's).

Matthew.