TECHNET Archives

October 2004

From:
Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:13:26 +0100
James

Taking-up the thread of this issue and noting the comments made by others, I
don't care what type of coating is used, 1 or 2 part urethanes or whatever,
this process should NOT be done as it will unquestionably affect the
intended performance of the coating long-term and to an indeterminate
extent.

A conformal coating is used to help protect circuits long-term against
hostile environmental conditions. It is not designed to resist various
chemical cleaning processes submerged, and presumably at a temperature above
ambient, for undefined periods of time. Using ultrasonics makes matters
worse. If the coating has become even partially saturated, then the
cavitation will surely further weaken the coating.

No coating is impervious.

My initial reaction is that the user of this device should complete the
cleaning process and then apply the coating.

Suggesting a cleaning process that will not affect the integrity of the
coating nor the device itself is tough. I know of customers who do clean
coated devices, but this would require input from them - Doug Pauls maybe??

I hope this helps you
--
Regards Graham Naisbitt

Concoat Limited - Engineering Reliability in Electronics
A British Manufacturer

NEW WEB SITE: www.concoat.co.uk :NEW WEB SITE

Golf Quote of the week: The Royal Hong Kong Golf Club caddies hit the nail
on the head; their term for golf: "Hittee ball, say damn."

Cell: 079 6858 2121
Office: +44 (0)1252 813706