LEADFREE Archives

October 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"Jolly Nick (Mr N)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:34:54 +0100
Not wishing to put anybody off, but the UK consultation
(http://www.dti.gov.uk/sustainability/weee/index.htm#Consultation_on_Governm
ent_implementation) requires response to go to

I'm not going to be in DTI much before the closing date of 29 October.

I would strongly encourage those who will be hit be WEEE & RoHS to respond,
particulary with issues such as last time buys, legacy products etc.

Althought there is little opportunity of changing the draft UK RoHS
regulations themselves, the non-statutory guidance can be improved.

You should also lobby the European Commission and other member states to
consider widening the exemptions before its too late.

I believe the key point is not to argue against the gist of the directives
but to provide a clear and compelling argument to support the case you want
to make.

The guidance supplied by the commission follows:

Any request has to fulfill the requirements given in Article 5(1)(b) of the
directive which allows for 'the exempting of materials and components of
electrical and electronic equipment from Article 4(1) if their elimination
or substitution via design changes or materials and components which do not
require any of the materials or substances referred to therein is
technically or scientifically impracticable, or where the negative
environmental, health and/or consumer safety impacts caused by substitution
are likely to outweigh the environmental, health and/or consumer safety
benefits thereof'.

In order to ensure that requests give the required information you need to
be able to supply the information below:

1. Please describe the material / component of the electrical and electronic
equipment that contains the hazardous substance.Please indicate the type and
quantity of the hazardous substance used in the homogenous material. Please
indicate the quantity of the substance in absolute numbers and in percentage
by weight in homogenous material.Please indicate the functionality of the
substance in the material of the equipment. Please also provide an estimate
of the annual quantities of the hazardous substance used in this particular
application.

2.  Please explain why the elimination or substitution of the hazardous
substance via design changes or materials and components is currently
technically or scientifically impracticable.

3. Please indicate if the negative environmental, health and/or consumer
safety impacts caused by substitution are likely to outweigh the
environmental, health and/or consumer safety benefits.If existing, please
refer to relevant studies on negative impacts caused by substitution.

4. Please indicate if feasible substitutes currently exist in an industrial
and/or commercial scale.Please indicate the possibilities and/or the status
for the development of substitutes and indicate if these substitutes will be
available by 1 July 2006 or at a later stage.

5. Please indicate if any current restrictions apply to such substitutes. If
yes, please quote the exact title of the appropriate legislation/regulation.

6. Please indicate the costs and benefits and advantages and disadvantages
of such substitutes.If existing, please refer to relevant studies on costs
and benefits of such substitutes.

7. Please provide any other relevant information that would support your
application for an additional exemption.

I recognise it sounds a lot but do urge you submit, either or both
individually or through your trade associations.

Regards

Nick    14/10/2003