LEADFREE Archives

October 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"James, Chris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:41:09 +0100
Greg,

I can't directly answer your question but hav

Greg,

I can't directly answer your question but have heard it discussed.

I would however strongly urge individuals and companies to forward all

these RoHS implementation issues to both the DTi at the email below

before the 29th Oct 2004 which is when the final consultation period

ends (for the UK - but contributions from all and any will add weight)

AND to all trade associations to which you may belong and urge them to

put pressure on appropriate government channels to take sensible action.

The sudden obsolescence of components in the face of RoHS conversion is

beginning to escalate making decisions on redesign difficult if not

impossible to judge. We already know that some components are not

promised as RoHS compliant until very close to the deadline - how many

of those will turn into no shows?

How many of us big and small alike will be faced with finding the

critical component unavailable as RoHS compliant only days or weeks

before the deadline, no matter how much effort we have expended in

ascertaining otherwise?

FYI - there is a group of companies currently pursuing the exemption of

life time buy stocks - if you would like to join the group email me.

If the whole of the electronics industry had work in unison on this

issue from the outset then we would not be facing the predicament we are

now and would possibly have been able to comply. As it stands now there

are some very serious issues facing many companies, however unless there

is joint action by all concerned then there is absolutely no hope of

turning any of them around.

Email issues regarding WEEE & RoHS, giving justifiable reasoning and

practical solutions, to:

Nick Jolly, Dept. of Trade & Industry

           Electronics Unit

E-mail: [log in to unmask]