DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

October 2004

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:56:57 -0700
Hi Karl,

Yes, the San Marcos Sheriff's department took a report from both of us and I
gave them the serial number and description of my laptop computer and
leather carrying bag. It was more difficult because I carried my checkbooks
in my laptop case, using it as a briefcase... So I had to contact the Credit
union and our local bank (as both checkbook accounts were in there) to
change the accounts so they could not access my family's money and then I
contacted the credit agency Experian to put a notice on my credit report
that my checkbooks had been stolen. Also I notified my employer that the
laptop had been stolen and changes the passwords on my work and personal
e-mail and access accounts...  I was thinking if I had saved any passwords
into my stock or 401K retirement accounts or any other login's I have then I
would have had to change them as well, but I never let the browser
'remember' the passwords for fear there was someway to extract them from my
machine...

Fortunately my Laptop has a password on the login so it may take them some
time to get into it if they are amateurs, but I hear that if they are
professionals it's not that difficult for them to run a program on the
computer that replaces the passwords with their own and then get access into
the hard drive. I have a lot of personal data, website development, work I
have done for clients, files from the community college where I was
teaching, family photo's presentation materials, and the book I was working
on for PCB design... it's a huge loss. Years of work gone...

I will have to redo much of what was lost but some of it is just never
reproducible. Especially the photo's...

I had a hardware dongle in there for 3Dstudio Max, which I own as well, I
will have to talk with Discreet about that...fortunately I have the CD's in
another bag that I did not carry into the workshop with me... otherwise they
might be gone too.

I think it's important to warn others to back up their data, and not leave
important stuff on your laptop that isn't somehow protected...

If you can, keep a mirrored copy of your data on a hard drive at home...
And of course, don't leave your stuff unattended... not even for a coffee
break...

Best regards,

Bill Brooks - KG6VVP
PCB Design Engineer , C.I.D.+, C.I.I.
Tel: (760)597-1500 Ext 3772 Fax: (760)597-1510
http://www.dtwc.com
http://pcbwizards.com