DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

October 2004

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:25:21 -0700
7bit
From:
Roger Gathright <[log in to unmask]>
Hi everyone;

I was inclined to remain silent about this matter, things are stolen
all the time, and we have all lost something.  However I have a
slightly different tale to tell.

As a contract consultant in a firm I had no access to most of the
building, nor reason to go anywhere except the lobby, hall, lab,
restroom, and the one office I shared with a software supervisor.
Most of the Building was behind locked doors which required a company
ID / pass card to open.

Scene set, now the action. After six weeks on the job, with about six
to go, there was a all hands meeting.  I was not invited,
understandably. Nor were the three software people.  The subject of
the meeting was hardware manufacturing.  So almost all the people on
the second floor went.  Two programmers were in the lab, I was in the
office.  The Supervisor left a few minutes after the meeting started,
and returned just after it ended.  I thought nothing of it, and do
not know what he was doing.  After all it was not my business to keep
track of him.

During this hour nine Laptop computers vanished. I heard some were in
desk drawers and a couple in brief cases.  But they were all gone.

The next day, after the police finished investigating, I was informed
that all contractors were released.  No explanation, no notice. I
learned there were three contractors, I never meet any of the others.
I do not know who or where they were.  But three people lost their
jobs, terminated early, I believe because some one believed a
contractor had taken all those laptop's.

Hindsight says it had to be someone who had access to the entire
building to know where the laptops were located, especially those in
drawers and brief cases.  But I really do not know who or how they
managed to get them out of the building.  (They were never found as
far as I know.)

So care is important for the security of your property, and for the
piece of mind of everyone around you.

(Back in the Lurking mode.)