TECHNET Archives

September 2004

From:
Paul Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Paul Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:14:27 -0700
Gaby,

Check the age of the chips and the exposure time verses humidity...

Many times the plating on the leads absorb moisture like the rest of the
package.  When heated to reflow temps the moisture vaporizes in microvoids
and blows off small bits of plating and solder as the solder melts in the
presence of the flux..

By baking (low and long) the PLCCs in question in dry nitrogen and
duplicating your reflow process, you can get a measure of whether the
problem you are having is caused by moisture or something else.

Paul Edwards
Process Engineering
Tel: 408-433-4700
FAX: 408-433-9988