TECHNET Archives

September 2004

From:
- Bogert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, - Bogert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 18:46:19 -0400
September 9, 2004

Thanks for the information.

I don't think dendrites are the problem since we also have some brand new PWB'S with the same conductive contamination that were never populated or conformal coated or exposed to any voltage other than the short time exposure to 50 VDC used during the shorts and opens test performed by the PWB manufacturer.  My understanding is that humidity, without voltage applied, can cause tin whiskers (if tin is pure), but not dendrite growth.