TECHNET Archives

September 2004

From:
"Ingemar Hernefjord (KC/EMW)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Ingemar Hernefjord (KC/EMW)
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 08:22:20 +0200
Dave,
If you have Puligandla Viswanadham's book Failure Modes and Mechanisms in Electronic Packages, you may find an explanation. On page 164 he shows something that reminds of your wavy PTH. He speaks about a combination of rough drilling, delamination, copper barrel spiral cracking and finally, the solder's inability to wet this messy barrel properly. The result can be a wavy PTH.

Ericsson Microwave Systems