TECHNET Archives

September 2004

From:
"Himel, Thomas M." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Himel, Thomas M.
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 13:59:45 -0700
We are having trouble with a PC board produced for us developing a short between two planes in two adjacent layers.  The very worrying thing is that this short usually doesn't occur until the board has been run for many hours.   I'd appreciate advice on the following questions:
1.      What is the likely root cause of the problem and why?
2.      Is there a test we can do on unloaded boards to find the incipient problems?
3.      Is there a test we can do on loaded boards to find the incipient problems?
4.      What tests should we do on a failed board to help us determine the root cause of the problem?
5.      What are the likely design/process problems that lead to these failures?
6.      Is there a process change we can do to prevent future problems?
I know this is a tall order and that you need to know lots about the board design and the problem to even begin to help.  I'll do my best to give enough information and then respond to questions anyone might have.  We are under both a budget and schedule crunch and cannot tolerate failures after the boards are put in the final product so I really appreciate any help any of you can give.
1.      It is an eight layer PWB with dimensions about 1 by 12 inches.
        2.      It is stacked up from a copper foil, 3 double sided boards and then a copper foil.  Separating the parts are 3 mil Arlon 35N polyimide / E-glass two ply  prepreg sheets.
        3.      The short occurs between one of the outside copper foils and the copper of the adjacent double layer board (separated by the 3 mil prepreg).
        4.      Both of these layers are essentially planes.  One normally has 120 VDC on it and the other a few volts.
        5.      We have built 850 bare boards, loaded 300 and burned in 208 of those.  We need 700 good boards.
        6.      A flying probe test on the 850 bare boards at 250 V found no shorts between the two layers.
        7.      3 (of the 300) loaded boards had a short between the two layers immediately after being loaded.  All other boards held 200 volts in two separate tests that are done after loading and before burn-in.
        8.      6 (of the 208) boards developed a short during burn in at 85 degrees C with 120 V applied. They failed after about 4, 6, 10, 18, 25, and 75 hours of a 200 hour burn-in.  The 120 V is applied through a 270 k Ohm resistor in the circuit which limits the current to 0.4 mA.
        9.      Calling them "shorts" is over-simplified.  The 6 boards develop a low resistance between the two layers.  This resistance can go up and down some, but gradually gets less as time and current pass by.
        10.     To localize the problem on the 6 boards that failed during burn-in we used a lab supply to run higher currents between the layers.  Running over an amp through each board caused the problem area to heat up and ultimately blister.  The blisters are not near vias and are in different locations on each board.
        11.     One of these boards we sectioned and polished.  This reveals a void and crack in the prepreg layer.  We assume we caused this by running the high current through it and that we destroyed any evidence of the root cause.
        12.     Moisture has been suggested as a possible culprit, here are a few relevant facts
a.      The bare boards are stored in uncontrolled California conditions for several months before being loaded.  They are not in moisture barrier bags and the average humidity in the area is 35%.
                        b.      Before being loaded the boards are stored for a  couple of weeks in a dry closet at the company where they are loaded.  They are not baked prior to reflow soldering.
13.     The boards are reflow soldered with lead based solder.  All the components are surface mount.  A rosin based solder paste is used that meets IPC J standard 006. The part is cleaned in water and alcohol.
        14.     The board did not go through a HASL (Hot Air Solder Leveling) process.
        15.     The bare board bows by about 1 mm.
        16.     The loaded board bows by several mm.
        17.     The total board thickness is 34 mils.
        18.     The IPC standard for dielectric thickness for 101-150 volts is 8 mils.  We have used 3 but believe it is common to do this.  The breakdown voltage for a 3 mil air gap is 225 volts.  For 3 mils of polyimide it is about 3 kV.
My email address is thimel AT slac.stanford.edu

Thanks for any help or information you can provide.