TECHNET Archives

September 2004

From:
"Bernard, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Bernard, David
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:31:03 +0100
Dear Peter,

Forgive me if this has been suggested to you in earlier communications but I
have only seen your latest message. If you plan to inspect the quality of
the BGAs/process using x-ray inspection, then you might want to consider
using reflow indicators with the BGAs, as part of the design. Reflow
indicators, if you are not aware, are caused by deliberately opening up the
mask on some (or all) collapsible BGA balls which, after reflow, causes the
solder to partially flow back down the track to give a characteristic 'dog
bone' or 'key-hole' that can be clearly seen under x-ray examination
compared to 'normal' reflowed balls. Studies have shown that this does not
affect joint quality and it makes a very quick and easy check to give a high
confidence of the BGA reflow (usually more for your customers, as you know
you have a good process!). My observation is that using reflow indicators is
not taken up widely as the designers and the production people are too often
separated in the product design regime and often the production people have
little, or no, say in how design can help manufacture.

Of course, our company has a wonderful x-ray system to look at such things,
as well as all other joints and my North American colleagues, or I, would be
happy to tell you why! But whatever you decide I hope the above suggestion
is of interest.

Best regards,

David Bernard

Dr. David Bernard