LEADFREE Archives

September 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Bob willis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:46:34 +0100
The best reference source is the DTI Web site, www.dti.org.uk

Bob Willis
2 Fourth Ave, Chelmsford,
Essex, CM1 4HA, England
Tel: 01245 351502
Fax: 01245 496123
Mobile: 07860 775858
Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: www.leadfreesoldering.com
Web: www.bobwillis.co.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: Leadfree [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kallin, Dan
Sent: 21 September 2004 16:13
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [LF] Marking of products

Greetings,

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but I am trying to find any email
discussion groups or other sources for answers to WEEE/RoHS questions
beyond
the issue of lead free.

For example, WEEE requires marking of products with the crossed out
wheelie
bin beginning next year.   What exactly is a "product" for
multi-component
products.  For example, a Home entertainment system consists of a head
unit
with the main electronics, a bass box, satellite speakers and a remote
all
connected by wires all in one box. Parts are not sold separately. It
seems
pretty clear that the head unit and bass box would need to be marked,
especially for models which each has a separate plug.  I can even
understand
that a remote may need to be marked as it contains a small PCB.  What
about
the small satellite speakers?  Would these need to be marked as well or
would the marking on the other components be sufficient?

I have seen a draft CENELEC standard prEN50419  Marking of electrical
and
electronic equipment in accordance with article 11(2) Directive
2002/96/EC
(WEEE) but there was no mention of multi component products.  Is there a
process for comment on these standards to try to address this before
publication?

Any thoughts or leads would be appreciated.
Dan Kallin           Environmental & Safety Engineer
   Bose Corporation       Framingham, MA 01701
                 508-766-7136  (phone)
                 508-766-7086   (fax)
in
To temporarily stop/(start) delivery of Leadree for vacation breaks
send: SET Leadfree NOMAIL/(MAIL)
Please visit IPC web site