LEADFREE Archives

September 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Bob willis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 2004 18:04:21 +0100
Hello as you know I recommend glass rather than ceramic as you can see
through the slides and use them for testing all types of BGAs as well
for ball wetting.

If you would like the parts tested I am happy to do it for you and
provide you the results back. This is part of a NPL project we are
running on solderability testing so we can examine know soldering
problems which increase defect levels. The offer is there if people are
facing defects in manufacture relating to solderability.

To expand on the project I am currently working with the NPL Team on the
real impact of solderability on process yields. As you know many people
say they have a solderability problem, but the term is used incorrectly
and it’s often related to other process or design issues.

I would like to know if you have any specific components or component
types that regularly fail to wet correctly so we can test some sample
parts from production line as they occur over the next couple of months.
The solderability of surface mount or conventional parts is part of the
project and not PCBs.

The aim is to help us develop new solderability test methods and
criteria to more accurately predict process yield. It is import to
determine that the process problems are related to solderability, but
this can be determined through further discussion. We will need some
process data and component data on parts for testing.

Bob Willis
2 Fourth Ave, Chelmsford,
Essex, CM1 4HA, England
Tel: 01245 351502