DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 2004

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Indrek Rebane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 20:23:04 +0300
Hi Louis,

Louis Dallara wrote:
> So do we educated the world to design are electronics and give them
> our intellectual property so they can have all are engineering jobs
> along with the manufacture base just because they have a lower
> standard of living and will work cheaper????

In hypothetical case where IP would not be property of inventors anymore
against their will, which is quite what is happening thanks to major
outsourcing trends, owning of IP will not be deciding factor on who will
get largest market share any more. Quality of engineering steps in -
often compromised due course while getting price down.

Here PCB designers have still lot to learn from Japanese manufacturers.
Initial prize is not the only component of cost.

In my experience, the greatest lack in designs made in India boils down
to same - lack of education - seen in lack of documentation and
inconsistent design. Given 20 years of time and decent large scale
programs there is quite a large quantity of qualitatively competitive
engineers. They 'just' need to get good education, environmental
control, rid of corruption, social program and nice free market. Then I
would be worried - for a day - and continue improving my own education.

And yes Louis, there are job openings in Estonia, quite a lot.

Indrek,
planning to become CID soon.

--
  Indrek Rebane           |      Borthwick-Pignon
  Electronics Engineer    |    Tartu Science Park