DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 2004

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 07:21:14 -0700
From:
"Litson, Cherie" <[log in to unmask]>
Chris,

Only when I was working with Microsoft building mice.  Those were CEM1 boards as well.  We tried punching FR4, but it cracked in places - boards in mice are small and the features are close.  (The material is more brittle than CEM or FR2.)  If you keep all copper features 30 mils from the edge, and all drilled holes and cutouts 60 mils from the edge, you might be able to avoid any damage. (Those #'s are from a fuzzy memory...better double check me.)  Be sure to get the limitations from the fab shop for your features.  Ask them to show you samples of FR4 multi-layer boards they've punched.  Get close up pictures of the possible failure points.  Ask them to show you failures.

Since you've been using CEM1, you know that it punches easily because it's a softer material. My guess is that they've been using an FR2 for your 2 sided boards.  Which is a step up from CEM1, but less heat tolerant than FR4.  FR4 is more brittle and harder.  It will wear down the edge of the punch tool much faster and those punch tools aren't cheap.  If the fab shop still thinks this is faster and more efficient (it may be that the fall-out may offset time on the router), and you can meet the spacing requirements, I'd try it.

My 2 cents,
Cherie Litson, CID+, CII
Sr. PCB Designer
Sonosite, Inc.