DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

September 2004

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
From:
George Patrick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:13:48 -0700
A couple problems with this whole scenario of "innovation" as our savior.

Most "innovators" started as "sub-innovators", learning their trade over the
course of time as "junior engineer" or "programmer" or "junior designer".
As _these_ jobs go offshore, there is going to be less innovation from the
US because there will be less than "critical mass" to gather idea from, and
less training ground to seed ideas into. Innovation (propaganda to the
contrary) is not one person, it's all the people that build ideas into
reality.  It is a team, and the only thing "team" means to most americans
any more is atheletics.  We are not trained to be teams.

The result is going to be less employment, less money to buy the goodies
here, less money to send kids to college, less people to get the jobs we
aren't going to have any more.  An when people realize it, there is, indeed,
going to be blood in the street.  All this is happening, coincidentally, at
the same time oil reserves are peaking.

Another problem is the fallicy that as the "working stiff" kinds of jobs
move overseas we are magically going to retrain factory workers to be
"innovators".  This is why the "rust belt" is such in such a boom now, all
those factory workers that lost their jobs to the import cars and steel 30
years ago are making millions now, aren't they.  The truth of the matter is
that a small proportion of the total population is retrainable for the
"global economy".  A large percentage of the US is going to be jobless for
the rest of their lives.  Period. Was it Pounelle that coined the term
"negative income tax" years ago in his books about what the US would turn
into in the future, one person with a job supporting 4 or five without?
Well, the future is getting closer, folks.

Aw, heck.  It's too late anyways.  What, me worry.....  <:o)