TECHNET Archives

August 2004

From:
Mel Parrish <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Mel Parrish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 2004 10:16:58 -0500
Hi All,
We looked at this during creation of the current requirements content and tried to arrive at a point where the lead should be considered toe down.
A couple of points were discussed at length.
We certainly don't want to cause inspectors to attempt to measure angles of lead toe down to determine acceptance.
Reliability data was not available to support a specific value of toe down for reference in the standard.
The result was: Those components that normally have a toe down configuration have different requirements from those that do not, but the presence of a heel fillet is still necessary for connection performance reliability. No specific angle was available or referenced at the time. This leaves it up to the user of the document to determine the condition of the actual component and to apply the correct criteria as appropriate.
Should there be supporting data to apply a value to this condition, the committee would be most interested in considering the inclusion in Revision D, now under construction.
The 001 and 610 committees meet next week in Huntsville.

Best regards,
Mel