TECHNET Archives

August 2004

From:
Dacia Super <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Dacia Super <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 16:51:48 -0500
I have a question for all of you out there that source parts.

My question specifically relates to connectors - and the evolution of said
connectors.

If, say, a connector had a thin layer of gold plating on the contact area -
roughly 1 microinch of gold (minimum) - how many insertions would that
connector be capable of before degradation of the gold surface area?

Also - is it common practice these days, in light of the changing economic
conditions and in the pursuit for ever cheaper options - to have a connector
pin (the internal portion - where a board's gold fingers would be inserted
into - I am not referring to the portion of the connector that is inserted
through the board and soldered) that has been gold plated, but the utmost
top portion of the connector is regular tin/HASL?

And what type of contact retention force would be necessary to secure a
module into a connector - through system build, shipment and long-term
storage before sale of said system?

Additional questions - will a gold finger surface (immersion gold) that has
6 - 20 micro inches of gold ever burnish, discolor for any reason?  Or
should it always be shiny and bright?  Will hard gold have the same cosmetic
appearance as soft gold?

If anyone has technical resources they could send my way related to this
topic, I would greatly appreciate the assistance.  I have combed the Tech
Net archives (found a lot of great info - but not an answer to this specific
question) and I have also acquired the discontinued MIL spec MIL-G-45024.
Unfortunately, these areas didn't really help me.  So, I figured that I
would ask the experts the directly!!!

Thanks.
-D