TECHNET Archives

August 2004

From:
Frank Kimmey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Frank Kimmey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 12:08:08 -0700
Carrie,

IPC-2252 (RF/Microwave Design Guide) calls out 50 to 200uin for electrodeposit and 200uin to 300uin for electroless nickel and IPC-4552 (ENIG Plating) calls out 120uin to 240uin for nickel.
These numbers are from my proposal copies and may have changed slightly with release (though I don't expect they did).

As an example, I use 50 to 150 microinches of Electroless Nickel beneath 3 to 8 microinches of Immersion Gold in my ENIG documentation.

As to your original questions:

1. Nickel is used as the solderable surface and as a barrier to keep copper from leaching away the gold final finish. Due to oxidation it is necessary to protect the nickel from environmentals (nickel oxide does not solder well) and is there fore coated with a thin layer of gold.
2. 500 microinches is way to much (my opinion) due to the inability of that thick of a material to stretch with Z-axis thermal expansions (this could cause reliability issues from barrel cracking during thermal stress). I think you will most likely find Board Houses are comfortable with a minimum 50 microinch requirement.

Hope it helps,
FNK

Frank N Kimmey CID+
Principle PCB Designer