TECHNET Archives

August 2004

From:
"Kane, Joseph E (US SSA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Kane, Joseph E (US SSA)
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 09:39:06 -0400
Not sure what your units are here, I assume that
you're using an electrostatic fieldmeter, and
measuring at a distance of one inch from the surface.

Our protective practices are designed to suppress
levels at the workbench to less than 100 volts,
or .1 kV.  I believe that this is a realistic goal
for someone using normal grounding practices, like
static protective mats and personal wrist straps.

Of course the sensitivity of your product is the
primary consideration, and you should be asking your
design engineers what levels are problematical for
your product.  If they tell you that you need to
protect below 100 volts, you're probably going to
need ionization.

My guess is that 5000 volts could be a problem, if
you find it directly on the workbench, or in localized
areas where your ESD-sensitive product could be exposed.
On the other hand, if you find this level at a point on
a shelf that's 3 feet above the workbench, you're
probably OK.

-Joe