TECHNET Archives

August 2004

From:
paul reid <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, paul reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 09:53:17 -0400
It is my experience that higher Tg materials are better ... but not always.
We have found that there are a few high Tg materials that fail quickly in
assembly or in the field, particularly if they were subjected to sequential
lamination cycles during fabrication.  Specifying Tg will not prevent
material problems.  Also understand that Tg is not a parameter that is
"written in stone"; Tg can change over time even as PCBs sit on a shelf, but
it is especially variable as a results of process variations in fabrication
and assembly.  There are at least five different methods of determining Tg,
all produce numbers that are equally valid, but they typically vary about 20
degrees.

I suggest that you specify specific materials by manufacturer and type.

Lead free assembly is going to prove to be problematic with current
materials, fabrication variables and PCB designs.