TECHNET Archives

August 2004

From:
James Hofer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Hofer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:06:48 -0700
OK, it looks like there's some help needed here. There are typically three
ways to soldermask a hole. All three can be done by "most" board shops. All
three can be done by outside services who specialize in soldermask or epoxy
services. To help interpret what one may call "soldermasking" a hole I will
list them below.

TENT. Tenting a hole is putting a cover over the hole "tent" this is
typically done with Dry Film. Why? because you want to cover over the entire
surface without dimpling into the hole. LPI  can not do this. LPI can plug
and sometimes fill but it cannot tent. After dry film (or similar) tent one
usually then coats the entire part with LPI soldermask.

PLUG. Plugging a hole is done by filling the hole with soldermask or an
epoxy. With a plugged hole one would not see light thru the hole but there
may be dimpling on the surface or there may be some voids in the "plug".

FILL. Filling a hole implies to "completely" fill the hole with a soldermask
or an epoxy material. Filling is regularly done with conductive via fill.
When one discusses via in pad technology they are speaking of filling the
hole with conductive epoxy. Filling is also regularly done with specialized
non-conductive epoxies. A filled hole would have no to minimal dimpling on
the surface and would have no or minimal voids in the hole fill material.

I hope this helps.

James Hofer
Director of Operations
Accurate Circuit Engineering