LEADFREE Archives

August 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 08:19:29 -0500
Hi LF Listservers,

I would like your comments and how your company is going forward and any
other comments on this NEDA position paper.
--------------

Back a little while ago (June 2004) we discussed Part Numbers (P/N) and how
to document and release a change to Lead Free metallurgy.

At this time it was my engineering opinion,
IF one was going to totally replace an existing part or an entire
electronic assembly using Lead Free that this engineering change was easily
handled by the P/N and E/C (P/N = Part Number,  E/C = Engineering Change or
Engineering Level) System.
IF a manufacturer was going to have two different parts or assemblies
continually available for the same function and/or specifications or
different specifications and/or function then and only then would two (2)
P/N's be assigned.

My reasons were many, which included that this seemed to be the least
costly and most orderly in terms of engineering documentation and control.
For a more major change like a huge size difference, a new application, a
new model, or reduced/altered performance and reliability specifications,
then maybe some new P/N's for certain parts should be assigned.

Here are some links from the archives to these older discussions

http://listserv.ipc.org/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0406&L=leadfree&P=R2&I=-3

Started by Pitney Bowes  [log in to unmask]

http://listserv.ipc.org/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0405&L=leadfree&P=R8212&I=-3

Questioning Note from Arrow Electronics Roland DuCote [log in to unmask]

-----------------------------
Just yesterday I see from one of the magazines that the NEDA (US Based
National Electronic Distributors Association) has requested the assignment
of all new part numbers and has put out a position paper.

http://www.nedassoc.org
http://www.nedassoc.org/leadfree.pdf

To me it seems like the NEDA has a problem and they are pushing it back to
development. When a new E/C is released for a part or an assembly, with a
BOM (Bill of Materials)  they should be able to handle  the disposition of
the older E/C part number.

I would like your comments and how your company is going forward and any
other comments on this NEDA position paper.

Yours in Engineering, Dave
Y i Engr, MA/NY DDave