LEADFREE Archives

August 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Colin Weber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 2004 13:48:27 +1000
Hi Folks,

I am a board designer for a OEM company which contracts out all PCB
manufacturing and assembly.
I am researching what issues to put to our suppliers as to their
capabilities or readiness for
Lead Free manufacturing.

I started by developing a Questionnaire I can put to them. I am looking for
any advice on
whether the questions I have listed below are asking the right questions
and raising the
correct issues. ie Am I on the right track?

If there is a suitable questionnaire elsewhere or source of information I
could use, please let
me know.

Draft of issues and questions for Contract Manufacturers:

?       Provide details of capabilities, setups and procedures of what you
propose to do about LF

?       What training of operators do you propose or perform for;
         a) Automated equipment (Lead Free Wave and Selective Soldering)
         b) Hand soldering and rework (touch up)

?       Lead Free BGA/SMT Rework: Selective IR vs Hot Air

?       Will you have two lines; One for Lead and another for lead free?

?       Lead Free SMT Line Quality Assurance and First Article Inspection

?       How will you combat moister sensitivity for LF components?
         Eg. Pre-bake before assembly?

?       How many stage Oven?

?       What Oven temperature <260 °C for Lead and 280 to <330 °C for LF

?       Hand Soldering policy for LF?
         Eg. High Risk

?       If Selective Reflow, what technology?
         Nb: Hot Air rework in LF is dangerous as deltaT variance and
temperature can be too high,
            up to 300 °C

         REFLOW:

?       Every PCB must be re-profiled for LF
         (What do we do about old and current leaded designs?)

?       Describe how you plan to manage and control your process window of
deltaT for reflow?
         (New demands on Reflow Machines)

?       What reflow thermal profiles do you plan to run?

?       What alloy will you use?
         Eg1. Sn-Ag-Cu (SAC alloy). Eg2. SnAg4Cu0.5

         WAVE:

?       Requires a more aggressive Flux, hence better Cleaning, therefore
higher level of inspection

?       What mechanisms will be employed for managing baths?
         Lead in the bath reduces Joint reliability.

Regards,

Colin Weber