TECHNET Archives

July 2004

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 18:44:05 EDT
Hi Phil!

Well, as far as I know, it still is happening (I'm on vacation now in the
beautiful state of North Carolina at my parents home), but before I left, we
tried everything, and I do mean everything, trying to eliminate them, and nothing
worked. Here's what we tried:

1. Wave Solder Profile - Changed conveyer speeds, slowed it down, sped it up
all to no avail, still have the solderballs.

2. Preheat Settings - Increased preheat temperatures, decreased preheat
temperatures, nothing made a difference, still have the solderballs.

3. Stand-offs for the Adapter - Used dissolvable spacers to stand-off the
part, didn't help, still have the solderballs.

4. Pre-tinned the Adapter, didn't help, still have the solderballs.

5. Changed flux in the spray fluxer from OA to RMA, didn't help, still have
the solderballs.

6. Used Kyzen Aquanox 4512P and made a special recipe for these assemblies by
increasing the wash time to 20-minutes, didn't wash them away, still have the
solderballs.

The only way to remove them, is by brushing them away, and what gets me, is
that they brush away SO EASILY. They just won't wash off, and I can't keep them
from occuring where these Aries adapters are being used (6-per assembly).
There rest of the assembly looks great, and always has for the couple of years
we've been building it.

I'm just defeated for now, trying to figure out why these solderballs are
occuring. Hole diameter in the board is .040" and the lead diameter is around
.017" to .018".

-Steve Gregory-