TECHNET Archives

July 2004

From:
Ryan Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2004 15:52:27 -0600
Hi bremerg,

At a previous company, we used MSAccess and a networked computer
terminal.  Worked well but has serious capacity limitations.  However,
it is "low tech" enough, and common enough that you won't need a
dedicated IS department to create and maintain the system.
Unfortunately, few engineers, ever used the data so it turned out to be
a big waste of production's time.  I think this had a lot to do with
Company wide attitude and a lack of knowledge with Access.  Don't fall
into this trap.

Where I'm at now, everyone, from production leads, on up to managers and
engineers, lives and breaths by the data, so the collection systems are
pretty sophisticated (seldom Access).  Regardless of the system used, it
is extremely valuable in identifying low hanging fruit and setting
priorities, so definitely pursue the path of data driven decision
making.

Regards,
Ryan Grant