TECHNET Archives

July 2004

From:
Charles Caswell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 2004 09:00:52 -0500
GOOD

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Ellis [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 2:21 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [TN] solder mask

Well, as you have taken my name in vain, don't be surprised to see
dewetting on such abraded areas. I would suggest that you use a fairly
coarse ink rubber (oops! Sorry, eraser for you US guys!!!!) to get
through most of the coating but finish off with the very finest pencil
rubber (ditto) with absolutely minimal pressure. The problem is that
some kind of gritty stuff is added to the rubber; this will become
literally embedded in the metal, causing dewetting. Don't believe me?
Well try it on a scrap of clean rolled copper foil and then flux it and
dip for a few seconds in a solder pot. Then you'll believe me.

By the way, the word used for the natural non- or semi-vulcanised latex
was originally caoutchouc derived from the Quechec word for the sap of
the hevea tree after smoking.  The first major use of it was rubbing out
pencil script, so it was almost natural for the tool, called a rubber,
extended its name to the elastomeric material from which it was made,
because it was much easier to say than caoutchouc. For some peculiar
reason, possibly because of our friend Noah Webster who did his
damnedest to bugger up the English language, in the US, the tool became
known as an eraser, while very illogically keeping the word rubber for
the material. Later on, a different tool was made from the latex, which
the US baptised a rubber (designed to erase women?). I'm not sure
whether it was named thus because of the material or because of the
reciprocating motion in use causing friction. However, I am surely not
alone, as a user of the real English language, in having asked a
visitees PA in the USA whether she had a rubber (naturally to rub out
something I was writing).

Incidentally, in the US, I frequently came across the word
'condominium'. I decided it must mean a building containing a number of
apartments for housing bachelors wont to entertain unmarried ladies. So
named after the bulk of the materials in the trash cans. Is this right?

Brian