TECHNET Archives

July 2004

From:
Dave Chapman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 12:58:25 -0500
Dave, at design review stage we decide how boards will be panelized a well
as how in Mfg. they will be depanelized. We use three methods, depanelize
with pizza slicer, depanelize with nibbler, and break apart by hand. Based
on the board design and adjacent components we decide this before the first
run. If manufacturing can show us that our initial decision was not the best
way we would change the process. In 4 yrs. we have only changed four
assemblies. If the rail is .200 we may allow breaking by hand for which we
have a fixture they put the board in and snap the rail off. Anything over
.200 has to use the slicer if it is a scored rail. Score depth and
correctness of the V groove is critical to this being successful.
Dave C.