TECHNET Archives

July 2004

From:
Collins Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:45:09 -0400
Hi Steve!
We use GPD's machines and are very happy with them.  We do low volume /
high mix and on some of the old stuff there are lots of axials.  The
CF-8 machine will do what you want (and will do a gooseneck, kink or
stand-off bend).  You can either loose feed it or run a tape.  No
nicking.  We've got a machine here that's about 14 years old and still
going strong, so I can attest to the quality of the design.  They made a
similar machine, the CF15, that was essentially a CF-8 with the
kink/standoff former removed - I don't see it on their web site so maybe
they discontinued it, but it's worth asking about as it was cheaper.
http://www.gpd-global.com/text/product/cf8.htm
I like it because the set-up is quick - set some dials, and go.  The
machines are repeatable - the settings for a .400" part are the same
today as they were 10 years ago, so building something that has been out
of production a long time is easy.  The bend is formed by a roller - it
rolls the lead against a forming die, so no nicking.

Hepco http://www.hepcoblue.com/ and Olamef (http://www.olamefusa.com/
may also be worth a look, I'm not so familiar with their equipment.

I would recommend you avoid the disc type formers - we've had several
and never found them worth the hassle - the set-up is difficult and may
nick some parts, and if you change lead thickness you have to start
over.  Cheaper machines but not worth the price in the long term.

Good luck!

regards,

Graham Collins
Process Engineer,
Northrop Grumman Canada Corporation
Halifax
(902) 873-2000 ext 6215

>>> [log in to unmask] 07/26/04 11:21AM >>>
Mornin' All!

I'm looking for a simple, basic, axial form and trim machine. It's got
to be
able to form to military specifications as far as bend radius and
nicking, but
I only need something that does simple 90-degree bends...no stand-off
or
snap-in kinks, or hairpin forms or any of that fancy stuff. The ability
to handle
loose components is very desired .

I'm also looking around in parallel to asking you all.

Thanks everybody!

-Steve Gregory-

P.S. Inexpensive would be a real plus!

in