TECHNET Archives

July 2004

From:
Leo Lambert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 10:01:12 -0400
Hi Rich, we did experience this problem many moons ago and it was related to
the length of the pin protruding from the bottom side of the board as the
board was going over the wave. You need to make sure your wave height is
correct and your peel back from the wave is at the correct angle to create
more movement in the "y" direction, pulling away from the pins. Another
thing you may want to look at is the dryness of the flux at this point in
time, and I mean as the board is exiting the wave. Is it still wet or is it
completely dry. If it is somewhat wet it help with the peel back of the
solder.

Another area that you can look at is the direction of the connector going
into the wave, it should be traveling perpendicular to the wave not parallel
to the wave, this way the solder has a chance to keep peeling off from lead
to lead as opposed to seeing two sets of leads going through the wave when
it is parallel to the wave.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck

Leo Lambert