TECHNET Archives

July 2004

From:
"COOKE, ROBERT W. (JSC-NX) (WGI)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:07:08 -0500
Graham,

Unless the boards are purely for prototype use, or you have a pneumatic /
hydraulic press and the proper tooling / dies, my recommendation is that you
find an assembly house that has an established press-fit capability and have
them install the connectors for you.

Since the board quantity is small, the cost of having someone install them
for you (and do it properly the first time) would be relatively
insignificant.

Our experience with manual insertion of press-fit, especially using arbor
presses, has not always been good (they tend to chatter as pressure is
applied, causing the connector pins to ratchet into the plated hole rather
than slide smoothly into the hole in a single motion). Also, unless the
tooling is correct, the platen tends to come down slightly off-parallel to
the circuit board - resulting in an improperly installed connector.

Bob Cooke