TECHNET Archives

July 2004

From:
Franklin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:38:18 -0500
a. Your customer hands you three different design packages for one PCB; one
version in Gerber and two versions in CAM350 (one is for manufacturing and
the
other is a previous revision for reference only) and tells you that the
GERBER and CAM350 versions are the same and to release the requirement to
manufacturing. What do you do?

That has happened numerous times here, we get written confirmation detailing
the risk involved in using the incorrect set of data before proceeding...

b. Your customer then tells you to ignore the Gerber version, and instructs
you to use the CAM350 version only and to release to manufacturing
immediately (because of the time lost in matter outlined in item #a). When
asked, "but we might have design related questions that need
clarification......", the customer responds with "There should be no
questions, this has been manufactured many times with no problems......"What
do you do?

Again, get written confirmation including detailing the risk involved in
using the incorrect set od data.

c. We did number #2, and problems were found with the design. Our customer
then proceeded to inform us of our engineering incompetence and asked why we
didn't compare the previous revision (the CAM350 file that was marked for
reference only) to the current revision because all the "answers" are there.
What do you do?

You kick yourself in the butt for not getting written confirmation detailing
the risks associated with using the incorrect set of data...

d. Our stated leadtime was X after all engineering questions have been
answered and production A/W has been approved; our "incompetence" lead to a
missed delivery (but product was delivered within stated leadtime after all
prestated conditions were met). What do you?

Same as e. above

e. The total value of the purchase order is 3200 (Production + Tooling);
your customer wants a penalty of 9000 (the cost of quickturn boards to make
up
for our incompetence) + FREE PCB's + FREE TOOLING + FREE TRANSPORTATION.
What do you do?

Implement a procedure for obtaining prior written approval on design
conditions that may be risky (like multiple choice data sets) and follow it,
pay the money, and take them off your Approved Customer List...

Rule 32 in Franklin's School of Sound Business Practice "A customer is
always right when you do not have proper documentation..."

Hope this helps...

Franklin