LEADFREE Archives

July 2004

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 2004 10:49:37 +0300
As far as I'm aware, metallic lead is not toxic per se, because it
cannot be metabolised. It is the lead compounds, starting with the
various oxides, that are toxic. That having been said, airborne lead
particles could be easily oxidised and sulfided. It should also be
mentioned that lead is not absent from the so-called "cosmic dust" or
micrometeoroids. In fact, scientists use the U:Pb ratio of these to
determine their age and origin. I cannot state the quantities but it is
not insignificant.

One thing that should be realised is that the toxic effects of lead (and
most other elements and compounds) are not linear. There is a threshold,
below which the effect is negligible. Above the threshold, the effect
can follow a law with an exponent of the mass absorbed of anything
between 1 and 2.

Another popular myth is that the toxic effects of lead are irreversible.
Sure, brain cells that have already been destroyed cannot be regenerated
but long term treatment with calcium EDTA and penicillamine will remove
the lead from the system and prevent further damage; at the same time,
it will eliminate all the other symptoms of plumbism (painful
gastrointestinal degradation, reduction of haemoglobin production
causing anaemia, gum disease etc.), which often kick in before severe
mental deterioration.

Brian