TECHNET Archives

June 2004

From:
Leigh Jansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:17:21 +0100
Hello Lance et al,

I am not sure what type of spray system you are using, is it selective
coating atomised or non-atomised spray application ? Or is it hand
spraying?

If hand spraying, the way to avoid this would be to apply light coats,
building up the film thickness with 2 or 3 coats typically, applying
each additional one after the previous one is touch dry. This will give
the advantage of ensuring you get optimum coverage of coating across the
entire board. I would also recommend spraying the boards flat, using 4
"passes of coating" to make 1 coat......a pass can be described as
applying light overlapping stripes of coating, working your way down the
board, as though you are writing across and down the page, then turning
the board through 90degrees to add another pass  and so on.

One of the key factors to give maximum performance of the coating is to
ensure you have full coverage across the board, if it is slightly uneven
in thickness particularly around components will not be critical, so
long as the UV inspection shows good coverage and the coating is of a
sensible thickness as we recommend (25-75microns DFT.) Aesthetics of the
final coating, to some customers is paramount, although of course
functionality and performance have to be primary considerations.

With coatings, the pull back, can be caused by reticulation or
de-wetting of coating from the surface due to surface contaminants
and/or capillary action of the wet coating.  If it is capillary action
into narrow geometry voids eg. On leaded SMT IC's then thinner coatings
applied will minimise this because drying times will be reduced, which
in turn are influenced by the temperature and humidity conditions.

I hope this helps as a start.

If you would like to contact me off-line I am on

Leigh Jansen (Mr)

Technical Support Manager

Concoat Limited - Engineering Electronics Reliability